Edit Module

Vets Save Young Jackdaw That Swallowed Tweezers

“He is hands down the most incredible case and recovery I have seen during my six years as a wildlife vet."


Published:

RSPCA

After a young jackdaw swallowed a pair of tweezers, he was taken to the RSPCA Stapeley Grange Wildlife Centre in Nantwich, Cheshire​, UK. The tweezers were so large, they almost took up the length of his body, as seen in a radiograph.

Jackdaw that ate tweezers being fed

RSPCA

The staff at the RSPCA are being extra careful as they feed their jackdaw patient, so he doesn't accidentally eat another pair of tweezers.

“When I saw the X-rays and the size of the tweezers he had swallowed, I thought there was absolutely no chance this poor jackdaw could survive,” said Wildlife Vet Dr. Bev Panto in a RSPCA press release.  “The tweezers stretched the whole length of his digestive system — right from his crop to his intestines and the sharp ends were piercing through his skin. But after a challenging and intricate surgery to remove the tweezers via his stomach, and a nail-biting hour watching him recover, he proved he was quite the little fighter.”

The jackdaw is doing great now, and eating well.

“He is hands down the most incredible case and recovery I have seen during my six years as a wildlife vet,” Dr Panto said. “How such a small bird can survive such a traumatic incident, and then undergo major surgery and appear fighting fit the next day, is quite incredible. Whilst he still has a long way to go, and lots of healing to do, he has amazed us all so far, and we are hopeful we will be able to see him through to release.”

Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Archive »Read More

FDA Warns Veterinary Community of Accidental Overdose in Dogs From Sileo

It remains undetermined whether improper use of Zoetis' noise-aversion treatment's ring-stop mechanism is to blame.

NAVTA Pursues Registered Veterinary Nurse Credential

The National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America seeks to unite the profession under a single title.

Maine’s New Opioid Rules Confusing to Veterinarians

The rules, veterinarians say range from being unethical to not applicable to them.
Edit Module
Edit Module
Edit ModuleEdit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module
Edit Module Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Events


Show More...
Edit Module
Edit Module