Questioning Cruciate Ligament Surgery
October 2012 Footnotes
By Narda Robinson, DO, DVM
Posted: Sept. 25, 2012, 12:45 p.m. EDT
These are the footnotes for Dr. Narda Robinson's October 2012 Evidence-based Medicine column, Questioning Canine Cruciate Ligament Surgery.
1. Au KK, Gordon-Evans WJ, Dunning D, et al. Comparison of short- and long-term function and radiographic osteoarthrosis in dogs after postoperative physical rehabilitation and tibial leveling osteotomy or lateral fabellar suture stabilization. Veterinary Surgery. 2010;39:173-180.
2.Dog ACL/CCL Ligament Injury website. /redirect.aspx?location=http://tiggerpoz.com/. Accessed at 07-20-12.
3. DogKneeInjury website. /redirect.aspx?location=http://dogkneeinjury.com/what-if-i-can-not-afford-ccl-surgery/. Accessed at 07-20-12.
4. DogChannel.com. Is surgery the answer for ACL injuries? http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-health/is-surgery-the-answer-for-acl-injuries.aspx on 07-20-12.
5. Brauns JM. Non-surgical options for canine CCL injuries. Mile High Dog. Dec 2011/Jan 2012. Pp. 16-17. Accessed at /redirect.aspx?location=http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CHQQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.milehighdog.com%2Fimages%2FMile_High_Dog_-_December_2011_-_CCL.pdf&ei=wZoKUMn0DY-G8QTPp-XTCg&usg=AFQjCNE6kyj1x8pXce8kXjI0EmCjzDQsng&sig2=lvNNthcBHQlrWoRRw5Dftw on 07-20-12.
6. Cooper N and Hooper G. Against anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions – and response by orthopaedic surgeon. Journal of the New Zealand Medical Association. 2011;124(1334). Accessed at /redirect.aspx?location=http://journal.nzma.org.nz/journal/124-1334/4650/ on 07-20-12.
7. Goldenberg D. Memorable medical quotations. Accessed at /redirect.aspx?location=http://www.technion.ac.il/medicine/Students/medical_quotes.html on 07-20-12.
8. Zeltzman P. Deciphering 13 surgeon phrases. Accessed at http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-practice-news-columns/surgical-insights/deciphering-13-surgeon-phrases.aspx on 07-21-12.
9. Buote N, Fusco J, and Radasch R. Age, tibial plateau angle, sex, and weight as risk factors for contralateral rupture of the cranial cruciate ligament in Labradors. Veterinary Surgery. 2009;38:481-489.
10. Lineberger JA, Allen DA, Wilson ER, et al. Comparison of radiographic arthritic changes associated with two variations of tibial plateau leveling osteotomy. A retrospective clinical study. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2005;18:13-17.
11. Hurley CR, Hammer DL, and Shott S. Progression of radiographic evidence of osteoarthritis following tibial plateau leveling osteotomy in dogs with cranial cruciate ligament rupture: 295 cases (2001-2005). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2007;230:1674-1675.
12. Lee JY, Kim JH, Lee WG, et al. Scintigraphic evaluation of TPLO and CTWO in canine osteoarthritis. In Vivo. 2007;21(5):855-859.
13. Casteleyn PP. Management of anterior cruciate ligament lesions: surgical fashion, personal whim or scientific evidence? Study of medium- and long-term results. Acta Orthopaedica Belgica. 1998;64(3):327-337.
14. Atherton MJ and Arthurs G. Osteosarcoma of the tibia 6 years after tibial plateau leveling osteotomy. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2012; 48:188-193.
15. Veterinary Orthopedic Sports Medicine Group website. Accessed at /redirect.aspx?location=http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/surgery/TPLO.html on 07-20-12.
16. Au KK, Gordon-Evans WJ, Dunning D, et al. Comparison of short- and long-term function and radiographic osteoarthrosis in dogs after postoperative physical rehabilitation and tibial leveling osteotomy or lateral fabellar suture stabilization. Veterinary Surgery. 2010;39:173-180.
17. Cook JL, Luther JK, Beetem J, et al. Clinical comparison of a novel extracapsular stabilization procedure and tibial plateau leveling osteotomy for treatment of cranial cruciate ligament deficiency in dogs. Veterinary Surgery. 2010;29:315-323.
18. Agostinho FS, Rahal SC, Miqueleto NSML, et al. Kinematic analysis of Labrador Retrievers and Rottweilers trotting on a treadmill. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2011;24:185-191.
19. Angle TC, Gillette RL, and Weimar WH. Caudal paw displacement during movement initiation and its implications for possible injury mechanisms. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2012; 25. Epub ahead of print.
20. Robinson N. Pelvic limb lameness: palpate early and often. April 4, 2012. Veterinary Practice News. Accessed on 08-10-12 at http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-practice-news-columns/complementary-medicine/pelvic-limb-lameness-palpate-early-and-often.aspx.
21. Delince P and Ghafil D. Anterior cruciate ligament tears: conservative or surgical treatment? A critical review of the literature. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012;20:48-61.
22. Cimino F, Volk BS, and Setter D. Anterior cruciate ligament injury: diagnosis, management, and prevention. Am Fam Physician. 2010;82(8):917-922.
23. Strehl A and Eggli S. The value of conservative treatment in ruptures of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). J Trauma. 2007;62:1159-1162.
24. Bergh MS and Peirone B. Complications of tibial plateau levelling osteotomy in dogs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2012;25. [Epub ahead of print.]
25. Atherton MJ and Arthurs G. Osteosarcoma of the tibia 6 years after tibial plateau leveling osteotomy. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2012; 48:188-193.
26. Bergh MS and Peirone B. Complications of tibial plateau levelling osteotomy in dogs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2012;25. [Epub ahead of print.]
27. Moeller EM, Allen DA, Wilson ER, et al. Long-term outcomes of thigh circumference, stifle range-of-motion, and lameness after unilateral tibial plateau levelling osteotomy. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2010;23:37-42.
28. Bergh MS and Peirone B. Complications of tibial plateau levelling osteotomy in dogs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2012;25. [Epub ahead of print.]
29. Cao L, Zhang X-L, Gao Y-S, et al. Needle acupuncture for osteoarthritis of the knee. Saudi Med J. 2012;33(5):526-532.
30. Mavrommatis CI, Argyra E, Vadalouka A, et al. Acupuncture as an adjunctive therapy to pharmacological treatment in patients with chronic pain due to osteoarthritis of the knee: a 3-armed, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Pain. 2012;153:1720-1726.
31. Um S-W, Kim M-S, Lim J-H, et al. Thermographic evaluation for the efficacy of acupuncture on induced chronic arthritis in the dog. J Vet Med Sci. 2005;67(12):1283-1284.
32. Chauvet AE, Johnson AL, Pijanowski GJ, et al. Evaluation of fibular head transposition, lateral fabellar suture, and conservative treatment of cranial cruciate ligament rupture of cranial cruciate ligament rupture in large dogs: a retrospective study. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 1996;32:247-255.
33. Vasseur PB. Clinical results following nonoperative management for rupture of the cranial cruciate ligament in dogs. Veterinary Surgery. 1984;13(4):243-246.
34. Grierson J, Asher L, and Grainger K. An investigation into risk factors for bilateral canine cruciate ligament rupture. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2011;24:192-196.
35. Hansen RA, Harris MA, Pluhar GE, et al. Fish oil decreases matrix metalloproteinases in knee synovia of dogs with inflammatory joint disease. J Nutritional Biochemistry. 2008;19:101-108.
36. Tokuyama S and Nakamoto K. Unsaturated fatty acids and pain. Biol Pharm Bull. 2011;34(8):1174-1178.
37. Hart JM, Kuenze CM, Pietrosimone BG, et al. Quadriceps function in anterior cruciate ligament-deficient knees exercising with transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and cryotherapy: a randomized controlled study. Clinical Rehabilitation. 2012. [Epub ahead of print.]
38. Zalta J. Massage therapy protocol for post-anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction patellofemoral pain syndrome: a case report. International Journal of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork. 2008; 1(2):11-21.
39. Guo H, Luo Q, Zhang J, et al. Comparing different physical factors on serum TNF-alpha levels, chondrocyte apoptosis, caspase-3 and caspase-8 expression in osteoarthritis of the knee in rabbits. Joint Bone Spine. 2011;78(6):604-610.
40. Jang H and Lee H. Meta-analysis of pain relief effects by laser irradiation on joint areas. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery. 2012;30(8):405-417.
41. Wilke V. Alternative therapies for managing mobility: nonsurgical management of cranial cruciate ligament rupture (sponsored by Iams). DVM360. Accessed on 080912 at /redirect.aspx?location=http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/avhc/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=704202.
42. Taylor P, Funk C, and Craighill P. Gauging Family Intimacy. Dogs edge cats (Dads trail both). Pew Research Center. Accessed at /redirect.aspx?location=http://pewresearch.org/pubs/303/gauging-family-intimacy on 07-29-12.
Give us your opinion on
Questioning Cruciate Ligament Surgery
Industry Professional Site: Comments from non-industry professionals will be removed.