Sponsored by SpotOn Virtual Smart Fence, the survey asked 1500 U.S. dog owners about their pet parent habits and behaviours.
The survey found:
- 98 per cent of dog owners consider their dogs to be members of the family;
- 50 per cent of dog owners say their dog sleeps in a family member’s bed, while an additional 32 per cent have their dogs sleep in a family member’s bedroom; and
- 60 per cent of Northeast dog owners saying they cuddle their pet at night, compared to 49 per cent of respondents from other regions.
According to SpotOn Virtual Smart Fence, the survey’s results indicate there are opportunities for businesses and public spaces to meet the needs of the growing population of dog owners:
- 48 per cent rely on parks and recreation for outdoor activities with their dog;
- 86 per cent of dog owners feel welcome at the homes of friends and family with their pets;
- 37 per cent say it is too inconvenient to travel with their dogs and have skipped a trip because of the difficulty; and
- 59 per cent of dog owners said they’ve never stayed overnight in a hotel with their dog and only 13 per cent always travel with their dogs for overnight stays.