How do you beat hypothermia?
Test your knowledge with the August 2018 Brain Teaser
August 28, 2018
- What are the two “generic” ways to warm up a patient?
- Provide a few examples in each category from Question 1 to warm up a hypothermic patient under anesthesia.
- Describe a “surgical” way to warm up a cold patient.
- Passive (covers that prevent heat loss passively) and active (a heat source delivers heat to the patient).
- a. Cover any body part that doesn’t have to be exposed with a towel, a blanket, a wrap, socks etc.
b. Add a warming blanket (electric, water-circulating or pulsed air), coil the IV line around a warm IV bag (which should never touch the skin), place warming devices around the patient, such as rice socks or IV bags (which should never touch the skin).
- Lavage the abdomen with warm, sterile saline during a laparotomy, then suction it out.
How did you do? Let us know in the comments below.
Source URL: https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/how-do-you-beat-hypothermia/