Pet parents more dedicated than ever, survey says
39 percent of pet owners admit to skipping work just to care for their pet
June 11, 2019 12:48 pm
A new survey is showcasing everything pet owners are willing to do for their animal companions, including foregoing work and social commitments to ensure their well-being.
Conducted by OnePoll in conjunction with Fuzzy Pet Health, the poll found nearly a quarter of the 2,000 participants have missed work to care for a sick pet, and withheld this information from their boss. Sixty-five percent said it was because they did not think their boss would count it as a valid reason for time off.
“Time constraints are among one of the biggest hurdles for pet parents. But they don’t want to cut corners when it comes to their pets’ wellness,” says Jess Trimble, DVM, Fuzzy Pet Health chief veterinary officer. “As a society, we’ve outsourced so much of the services important to making our life tick, it’s time veterinary care delivered for the modern world.”
The survey also found:
- 39 percent have taken a day off to care for their pet, while a further 27 percent have worked from home to do so
- Three in 10 owners have canceled on their human friends to spend time with their pets
- 76 percent of pet owners panic when their pet swallows something they should not eat
- The average owner has seen their pets swallow foreign objects five different times, including 32 percent who have witnessed their animal ingesting toilet paper after rummaging through the bathroom
- Nearly half (47 percent) will call the veterinarian after their pet swallows something that could be harmful, while 43 percent take their pet to the clinic immediately
- 28 percent of those surveyed reported having health insurance for their animal companions
- 46 percent think there is limited access to quality veterinary care near them and avoid taking their pets to the veterinarian because it is too costly
Click here to see the full results.
- [Image]: https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/bigstock-Man-Embracing-His-Border-Colli-297832723.jpg
- Click here: https://www.swnsdigital.com/2019/06/one-fourth-of-pet-parents-are-lying-to-their-bosses-about-this/
Source URL: https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/pet-parents-more-dedicated-than-ever-survey-says/