The impact of implementing Fear Free techniques, legislative changes regarding cannabis, and the use of supplements in joint health are just a few of the topics covered at the inaugural VET Ontario UPDATES conference.
Held in Ajax, Ont., on April 26, the one-day RACE-approved CE conference drew approximately 70 local veterinarians, veterinary technicians, students, administrative staff, and practice managers.
Lee Baker, event director for the conference’s organizer, MacGregor Communications, says the updates format is a first in the Canadian veterinary market.
“Our company developed the updates concept for human medicine and we are rolling it out to the veterinary market,” says Baker, adding topics were chosen based on the results of a marketing survey. “There are many one-day CE conferences sponsored by one company, but having something that is sponsored by many companies keeps costs down for attendees.”
The event featured the following speakers and topics:
- Colleen Wilson, B.Sc., DVM Diplomate, ACVB—Fear Free: Improving the skill level of each team member
- Sarah Silcox, DVM, CVA, CVSMT, director and president of Canadian Association of Veterinary Cannabinoid Medicine (CAVCM)—Cannabinoid medicine and the veterinary profession
- Matt Brunke, DVM, DACVSMR, CCRP, CVPP, CVA—Nutritional supplements for the canine athlete
- Matt Brunke, DVM, DACVSMR, CCRP, CVPP, CVA—Introduction to rehabilitation and sports medicine
- Kymberley Stewart, B.Sc., (animal welfare), DVM, IDEXX Canada—Why SDMA matters: A deeper look at diagnostic options for patient welfare
- Nava Sarooshi, practice manager and president of MDP Corp.—Effective teams delivering exceptional customer service
Baker says she received positive feedback from attendees, which means future similar events may be a possibility.
“We are feeling out the viability of more updates,” she says. “[This event offered] a good experience, a low-cost, a lot of take-home lessons learned, and something attendees can apply to their practice to hopefully increase their patient outcomes and profits.”