By Mike Petty, DVM
In the October issue of Veterinary Practice News, Michael Petty, DVM, addressed how local blocks can be used to prevent pain in spay and neuter procedures. You can read the full article here. He also shared three videos to demonstrate his technique. They, along with some related text from the article for each video, appear below.
The procedure: orchidectomy
In either a dog or cat, the method is the same. After an alcohol prep, the testicle is firmly grasped with the non-syringe hand, and the needle is inserted into the caudal pole of the testicle and advanced just shy of the cranial pole. While maintaining a firm grasp, aspirate to make sure you are not in a blood vessel, then start to inject just until you feel the slightest pressure und...
You’ve landed on a members-only feature.
If you are already a member, please log in below.
Join VPN Plus+ today to get access to this feature and more like:
- Members-only content:
- In-depth case studies
- New protocols
- Detailed practice management strategies
- More from some of your favorite columnists like Patty Khuly and Brennen McKenzie
- Exclusive webinars, roundtables and videos
- And additional benefits including:
- VIP discounts to VetMedTeam online education and VetCE events
- An annual ‘Vet Box’ full of curated products just for you!