By Patty Khuly, VMD, MBA
Can you name the number one source of severe work-related stress in your life? In my case, I don’t have to think twice—it’s negative online reviews. One bad review (usually a one-star review on Yelp or Google) can send me into a weeklong tailspin of self-recrimination and feelings of overall job dissatisfaction.
When a nonconfrontational people-pleaser gets a negative review, it always feels deeply personal. And because I’m the practice owner, especially one whose profession is inextricably intertwined with her identity (sound familiar?), any bad review feels like a general referendum on my worthiness as a human.
Everyday stress versus extreme stress
While my quotidian, veterinary work-related woes are more often attributed to negative...
You’ve landed on a members-only feature.
If you are already a member, please log in below.
Join VPN Plus+ today to get access to this feature and more like:
- Members-only content:
- In-depth case studies
- New protocols
- Detailed practice management strategies
- More from some of your favorite columnists like Patty Khuly and Brennen McKenzie
- Exclusive webinars, roundtables and videos
- And additional benefits including:
- VIP discounts to VetMedTeam online education and VetCE events
- An annual ‘Vet Box’ full of curated products just for you!