Animal Health Companies Increase R&D Spending

The Animal Health Institute has found that animal health companies spent $663 million in 2006 on product research and development.

Animal health companies spent $663 million in 2006 to research and develop potential new products and to maintain the longevity of existing products, according to the Animal Health Institute’s Research and Development Survey.

This constitutes a 7 percent increase over 2005 spending.

Innovative research represented 86 percent of total research and development spending, the same as in 2005. The remaining 14 percent went toward research to ensure the longevity of existing products.

In 2006, 26.4 million pounds of antibiotics were sold for use in farm and companion animals, an increase from 24.4 million pounds sold in 2005.

Data represent answers from Animal Health Institute member companies, which include Abbott Animal Health, Bayer Animal Health, Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica Inc., Elanco Animal Health, Fort Dodge Animal Health, Intervet Inc., Merial Ltd., Novartis Animal Health U.S. Inc., Pfizer Animal Health and Schering-Plough Animal Health Corp.

<HOME>

Leave a Comment

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Register

Sign-up for your account with Veterinary Practice News. Your account gives you unlimited free access to our Newsletter Archives and our Digital Editions of Veterinary Practice News.
Please check the box below to confirm you would like to be added to Kenilworth Media’s various e-mail communications (includes e-newsletters, a survey now and then, and offers to the veterinarian industry*).
 

Leave this empty:

*We do not sell your e-mail address to 3rd parties, we simply forward their offers to you. Of course, you always have the right to unsubscribe from any communications you receive from us, should you change your mind in the future.