Vote once, vote twice, vote 15 times.
The American Humane Association is asking for the public’s help in choosing a Hero Veterinarian and a Hero Veterinary Technician. The winners will go onstage Sept. 19 in Los Angeles as part of a ceremony honoring extraordinary dogs.
Anyone may vote once a day at www.herovetawards.org from among five veterinarians and five technicians. The balloting closes July 13.
An expert panel picked the 10 finalists from among hundreds of nominees.
The second annual veterinary awards are sponsored by drug and vaccine maker Zoetis Inc.
“Each and every one of these finalists are pillars of the veterinary community and worthy of all the accolades they receive,” said J. Michael McFarland, DVM, Dipl. ABVP, group director of Companion Animal Veterinary Operations at Zoetis.
The awards ceremony will be presented by the Lois Pope LIFE Foundation and broadcast in the fall on the Hallmark Channel.
Voting for Hero Dogs in a variety of categories is being conducted at www.herodogawards.org.
The 10 two-legged finalists are:
- James Barr, DVM, Dipl. ACVECC, a small animal criticalist at Texas A&M University
- Kimberly Downes, DVM, of Animal Hospital of Rowlett in Rowlett, Texas, and a volunteer at Pet Partners
- Andrew Kaplan, DVM, Dipl. ACVIM, of City Veterinary Care in New York City and the founder of The Toby Project
- Vicky Smith, DVM, of Steamboat Animal Hospital in Olympia, Wash., who assists in animal cruelty investigations
- Annette Sysel, DVM, of Vero Beach, Fla., the president of Bauer Research Foundation
- Emily Arndt, CVT, of Shoreline, Wash., who has worked alongside veterinarians in Uganda since 2013
- Ranee Baker, RVT, of Kingsbrook Animal Hospital in Frederick, Md., who started the Kylie and Cricket Memorial Fund
- Julie Carlson, CVT, of Phoenix, who co-founded the volunteer organization Vets for Vets’ Pets
- Linda Lasky, RVT, of Oakland, Calif., the veterinary liaison for the Police and Working K-9 Foundation
- Annie Moore, LVT, CVPM, of Hayfield Animal Hospital in Alexandria, Va., who works with several nonprofit organizations