Nestle Purina PetCare of St. Louis is launching its first veterinary-channel natural therapeutic food, Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets EN Gastroenteric Naturals with added vitamins and minerals.
The new products will be available July 1 in canine and feline formulations and in dry and canned varieties.
“Research tells us that the natural trend in pet food is growing in all segments,” said Grace Long, DVM, director of technical marketing for the company’s therapeutic diets. “Many owners want to feed their pets as they do their family members. Veterinarians are sometimes frustrated with the challenges of recommending a therapeutic diet for a pet with a health condition, only to be refused by an owner who questions the diet’s ingredient list. With EN Naturals, we have the best of both worlds—ingredients that satisfy owners and therapeutic nutrition that meets the needs of the patient.”
According to the company, the diets were formulated to provide the same benefits as the traditional EN diet:
- High total digestibility (dry matter) for optimal nutrient absorption
- Coconut oil as a source of medium-chain triglycerides in the canine formulas to provide a readily digestible and utilized energy source
- Moderate fat for growth and maintenance
- Low fiber for ease of digestion
- Bovine colostrum in the dry diets to support the patient’s immune system
The foods contain added vitamins and minerals and are formulated without added artificial colors, flavors, corn or wheat, according to the company. “Corn and wheat are both natural and healthy ingredients,” Long noted, but she said they were eliminated in the naturals version because of some owners’ preferences.