The University of Florida will be hosting a weeklong series of events in October to celebrate the grand opening of its new Small Animal Hospital. The $58 million facility, which has been in construction for about two years, officially opens Nov. 1.
“We are thrilled to see construction almost completed and everything falling into place after all the time, energy and passion that has gone into creating the new U.F. Small Animal Hospital,” said Glen Hoffsis, DVM, dean of the college. “We want everyone to know their efforts are appreciated and hope everyone will take advantage of the opportunity to tour the new hospital and see for themselves what the excitement is all about.”
• Tuesday, Oct. 19: Sneak preview and building dedication for faculty, staff and students. (4 p.m. – 6 p.m.)
• Wednesday, Oct. 20: More previews for faculty, staff and students. (4 p.m. – 6 p.m.)
• Friday, Oct. 22: Invitation-only donor recognition event and official grand opening dedication. (6 p.m. – 9 p.m.)
• Saturday, Oct. 23: An annual continuing education event hosted by the university for veterinary receptionists and technicians will be held in the morning, followed by a two-hour open house for referring veterinarians. (Time TBD)
• Sunday, Oct. 24: Public sneak preview of new building. (2 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
The 100,000-square-foot hospital triples existing space and will afford a more comfortable environment for patient care and teaching, according to college administrators.
The new facility, in addition to larger treatment areas and more examination rooms, will include a linear accelerator and a cardiac catherization laboratory.