Vet Assistant Saves Choking German Shepherd

Veterinary Assistant Justin Rouse is being praised for saving German Shepherd, Nadia, who had a ball stuck in her throat.

Screencap 5News

A veterinary assistant is being called a hero after he saved a choking German shepherd.

German Shepherd Nadia was out playing fetch with her owners when she swallowed the ball. When she passed out, her owners rushed her to the Fort Smith Animal Emergency Clinic in Fort Smith, Ark. Veterinary Assistant Justin Rouse, just arriving to start his shift, met them in the parking lot.

“I saw some emergency flashers on their SUV and the back hatch was opened up, so I pulled in real quick, and I saw their dog kind of, I could see that it was kind of laying there, you know, it was lifeless,” Rouse told 5News.

Rouse realized that the ball was still in the dog's throat. “I could feel the ball, so I pushed behind it and pushed up, and it lodged it out,” he said to 5News.

After that, he took Nadia into the clinic for oxygen. When Nadia came to, aside from an irritated throat, she was fine.

Nadia's owners were shocked and  "mind-blown," according to 5News. Rouse said in his eight years working at the clinic, this was the first time he had seen this sort of emergency.

Leave a Comment

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

___

Register

Sign-up for your account with Veterinary Practice News. Your account gives you unlimited free access to our Newsletter Archives and our Digital Editions of Veterinary Practice News.
Please check the box below to confirm you would like to be added to Kenilworth Media’s various e-mail communications (includes e-newsletters, a survey now and then, and offers to the veterinarian industry*).
 

Leave this empty:

*We do not sell your e-mail address to 3rd parties, we simply forward their offers to you. Of course, you always have the right to unsubscribe from any communications you receive from us, should you change your mind in the future.