Vet helps puppy who swallowed 18-inch metal rod

Ouch

A radiograph of a puppy who swallowed an 18-inch rod.
Photo courtesy Twitter/FramVet

When we see crazy pet radiographs, we’re not surprised by some of the things dogs and cats have swallowed. We have an entire contest about that every year, our infamous “They Ate What?!” Radiograph contest. From a dog who swallowed 75 creamer cups to the cat who swallowed  a needle to a turkey who swallowed a bullet casing — we’ve seen it all.

Still, sometimes we see a radiograph that makes us go, “Wow. Look at that.”

Take this radiograph of a 4-month-old Labrador Retriever puppy who swallowed an 18-inch rod from a garden windmill.

The feeling we had seemed to be shared by the veterinarian who treated the puppy. “I’ve removed a lot of things from dogs’ stomachs, but nothing quite as spectacular as this,” Ben Garland, DVM, told Life Daily. Dr. Garland is a veterinarian at Framlingham Vets in Suffolk, U.K., who treated the puppy.

The puppy is now OK, but should probably stay away from windmills from now on.

Leave a Comment

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Register

Sign-up for your account with Veterinary Practice News. Your account gives you unlimited free access to our Newsletter Archives and our Digital Editions of Veterinary Practice News.
Please check the box below to confirm you would like to be added to Kenilworth Media’s various e-mail communications (includes e-newsletters, a survey now and then, and offers to the veterinarian industry*).
 

Leave this empty:

*We do not sell your e-mail address to 3rd parties, we simply forward their offers to you. Of course, you always have the right to unsubscribe from any communications you receive from us, should you change your mind in the future.