Veterinarian Performs Emergency Surgery After Dog Swallows Coat Hanger

Dr. Amy Koppenhoefer removed 8 inches of a plastic coat hanger from Indy’s stomach.

Indy is doing much better after having a coat hanger and part of her stomach removed.

Michigan Humane/Facebook

Suggested Veterinary Products

You’ve probably seen your fair share of dogs that have swallowed foreign objects. Some are common, some are strange and some are featured in our annual "They Ate What?!" X-ray contest. Then there are the dogs that swallow objects and end up needing emergency surgery.

For Indy, an emaciated dog who swallowed an 8-inch portion of a plastic coat hanger, that is exactly what happened.

Indy arrived at the Michigan Humane Society (MHS) weighing only 11 pounds. Her bones were visible and, according to MHS, “you could see an obvious hard object sticking out from her stomach.” Michigan Humane Society veterinarian Amy Koppenhoefer, DVM, examined Indy, only to find that the coat hanger the young dog had swallowed was embedded in her stomach. A portion of the dog’s stomach also had to be removed.

Though the surgery was difficult, it was successful and Indy recovered at a foster home. She is now available for adoption.

Do you have a similar story to share? Tell us about it in the comments.

Leave a Comment


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Sign-up for your account with Veterinary Practice News. Your account gives you unlimited free access to our Newsletter Archives and our Digital Editions of Veterinary Practice News.
Please check the box below to confirm you would like to be added to Kenilworth Media’s various e-mail communications (includes e-newsletters, a survey now and then, and offers to the veterinarian industry*).

Leave this empty:

*We do not sell your e-mail address to 3rd parties, we simply forward their offers to you. Of course, you always have the right to unsubscribe from any communications you receive from us, should you change your mind in the future.