The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has opened the nomination period for its annual Excellence Awards, which recognize contributions by veterinarians and nonveterinarians to the veterinary profession as well as animal health and welfare.
The AVMA award categories
- The AVMA Award: Recognizes a member who has contributed to the advancement of veterinary medicine in its organizational aspects.
- Meritorious Service Award: Recognizes a member who has brought honor and distinction to the veterinary profession through personal, professional, or community service activities outside organized veterinary medicine and research.
- Advocacy Award: Recognizes a member or nonveterinarian for advancing the AVMA legislative agenda and advocating on behalf of the veterinary profession.
- Animal Welfare Award: This award recognizes a member for accomplishments in the field of animal welfare in leadership, public service, education, research or product development, or advocacy.
- Career Achievement Award in Canine Research: Honors a member’s long-term contribution to the field of canine research.
- Clinical Research Award: Recognizes a member’s achievements in patient-oriented research.
- Humane Award: Recognizes a nonveterinarian for accomplishments in the field of animal welfare in leadership, public service, education, research or product development, or advocacy.
- Lifetime Excellence in Research Award: Recognizes a veterinarian for lifetime achievements in basic, applied, or clinical research.
- Public Service Award: Recognizes a member for outstanding public service while an employee of a government agency or for education of veterinarians in public service activities.
- XIIth International Veterinary Congress Prize: Recognizes a member who has contributed to international understanding of veterinary medicine.
- AVMF/Winn Feline Foundation Research Award: This joint award honors a recipient’s contribution to advancing feline health through research.
- Bustad Companion Animal Veterinarian of the Year Award: Recognizes the outstanding work of a member in preserving and protecting the human-animal bond.
How to nominate
The deadline for all award nominations is Feb. 15, 2018. Award information and nomination forms are available by visiting avma.org/awards (starting Oct. 16), emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or calling 800-248-2862.