1) Compassion fatigue is…. a condition characterized by emotional and physical exhaustion leading to an inability to empathize for others. Often brought on by heavy stress load caused by caring for others who are suffering.
2) Burn out is… a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress. It occurs when you feel overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to stay motivated to complete the tasks required.
Signs of compassion fatigue are:
- Chronic physical and emotional exhaustion
- Difficult sleeping
- Loss of connection or empathy toward others
- Feelings of inequity as a caregiver
Signs of burnout are:
- Every day is a bad day
- Tired and drained physically and emotionally
- Loss of motivation
- Decreased job satisfaction
- Feelings of detachment, being trapped
- Frequent illness; lower immunity
- Taking frustrations out on others