Dog Nearly Dies After Swallowing Stuffed Polar Bear

Dr. Rick Snook conducted surgery on the dog and removed the toy.

Veterinarian Rick Snook removed a stuffed bear that Honey had swallowed.

Santa Fe Animal Shelter & Humane Society/Facebook

Suggested Veterinary Products

Dogs will eat just about anything. They eat door hinges, fishing poles, socks and much, much more. Sometimes it even happens unbeknownst to the dog’s owner. Until that dog gets sick.

That’s exactly what happened with Honey, a Dogue de Bordeaux. On March 14, 2016, she was brought in to the Santa Fe Animal Shelter in New Mexico after having been vomiting for a week, the Santa Fe Animal Shelter & Humane Society posted on Facebook. The owner told Rick Snook, DVM, that the dog’s condition had originally been diagnosed as a uterine infection, but when she was still ailing after seven days, they brought her in.


Dr. Snook has been busy for the past few days with some unusual and challenging cases. Here's one that he just finished…

Posted by Santa Fe Animal Shelter & Humane Society on Monday, March 14, 2016

It turned out Honey had swallowed a stuffed toy. Dr. Snook conducted surgery to remove what was originally thought to be a teddy bear. As it turns out, it was a stuffed polar bear. Luckily Snook found out what was wrong with her when he did; he reportedly said that Honey would not have survived two more days.


Just wanted to give you all an update on Honey, the dog who swallowed a stuffed toy. She's doing well and will be…

Posted by Santa Fe Animal Shelter & Humane Society on Tuesday, March 15, 2016

What have the dogs you’ve treated swallowed?

Leave a Comment


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *