Thirteen veterinarians with expertise in areas ranging from anesthesia to surgery are teaming up to share their knowledge with fellow practitioners.
A new group called the Veterinary Association of Progressive Speakers, or VAPS, will hold its first seminar Feb. 20 and 21 in Atlanta and has tentatively scheduled a second meeting for April in Chicago.
VAPS was co-founded by pet obesity expert Ernie Ward, DVM, and pharmacology and nutraceuticals authority Lester Mandelker, DVM, Dipl. ABVP.
“While our lectures may not have the razzle-dazzle of the big national meetings, we believe one can learn a lot more intense, up-to-date practical information from our forthcoming lectures, including direct interactions with our speakers,” Dr. Mandelker said.
Attendees at the Atlanta meeting should be able to earn continuing education hours, Mandelker said. The seminar will take place at the Hilton Atlanta/Marietta Hotel and Conference Center.
“We will have all our seminars certified for CE credit and even offer state pharmacy law requirement courses,” he said.
Vic Cook, director of program operations and strategic initiatives at the American Association of Veterinary State Boards, wasn’t aware of VAPS but said the classes could be certified in time for the Atlanta meeting if they meet RACE standards.
Mandelker, who owns Community Veterinary Hospital in Largo, Fla., started VAPS with Dr. Ward in September.
Ward, who lives in Calabash, N.C., is no stranger to lecturing, having been named Speaker of the Year at the North American Veterinary Community and WVC conferences. He will address business management topics during VAPS seminars.
Besides Mandelker and Ward, the speaker roster includes:
- Jan Bellows, DVM, Dipl. AVDC, Dipl. ABVP (dentistry)
- Valerie Fadok, DVM, Ph.D., Dipl. ACVD (dermatology)
- Richard Freeman, VMD, CCRT (surgery and rehabilitation)
- Michele Gaspar, DVM, Dipl. ABVP (feline medicine)
- Adam Honeckman, DVM, Dipl. ACVIM (internal medicine)
- Gary Landsberg, DVM, BSc, Dipl. ACVB (behavior)
- Brendan McKiernan, DVM, Dipl. ACVIM (internal medicine and pulmonology)
- Robert Munger, DVM, Dipl. ACVO (ophthalmology)
- Lee Palmer, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACVECC (emergency medicine)
- Mitchell Song, DVM, Dipl. AVCD (dermatology)
- Robert Stein, DVM, CCRT, Dipl. AAPM (anesthesia/analgesia)
VAPS has a Facebook page—www.facebook.com/VetProgressive—and is planning a website.
Information about the Atlanta and Chicago seminars is available by sending a text message to 727-270-6284.