Health and Wellness for Companion Animals, a three-day conference in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Luxor Hotel and Casino, will cover a range of topics from food, treats and supplements to veterinary and OTC pharmaceuticals for pets. The event kicks off June 14 as part of the Pet Industry Advisory National Forum Series.
Day one revolves around business innovations in drugs, supplements and therapies. Scheduled to speak are the following:
- Todd Brodersen, president of Same Page Consulting, on how to market and sell to the veterinary market;
- Chris Ragland, president and CEO of Axxiom LLC, on key product and usage trends in the pet health market;
- Travis Meredith, DVM, MBA, Dipl. ACT, president of Alliance Veterinary Centers, on meeting the evolving need of the aging pet population;
- Steve Malone, global director for prescription diet marketing, Hill’s Pet Nutrition, on the Hill’s-Novartis osteoarthritis marketing partnership: case study;
- Tom Schwarzer, professional services veterinarian, Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica Inc., on novel approaches to disease management;
- Julia Stephanus, Summit Vetpharm president and CEO, on pet product packaging and tracking innovation;
- Jerome Gainer, Virbac AH Inc., senior manager regulatory affairs, on how to establish and keep a good working relationship with regulatory agencies; and finally,
- Ted Root, Vetcentric Inc.’s president and CEO, on building an effective four-way healthy pet alliance – pharmaceutical manufacturer, veterinarian, consumer, patient.
Day two features joint sessions for pet OTC and veterinary pharmaceutical and pet food manufacturing industries. Scheduled to speak are the following:
- Steve Hellem, Human Animal Bond Research Initiative executive director, on the human-animal bond and creating products and services at the core of this growing trend;
- Dr. Emily Patterson-Kane, Ph.D., American Veterinary Medical Association, animal welfare division, on human-animal bond demographics;
- Gen Kato, DVM, president of Angell Memorial Hiroo Central Hospital and founder and president of the Japanese Human and Animal Bond Society, on bond-centered practice;
- Rich Timpone, Ph.D., director of research and strategy, VPI Pet Insurance;
- Carol McConnell, DVM, vice president of underwriting and chief veterinary medical officer at VPI, on enabling best care and how pet insurance helps pets, owners and veterinarians;
- Phil Brown, DVM, senior vice president, marketing and regulatory affairs, Nutri-Vet, on nutraceuticals: market statistics, key trends and capitalizing on this fast-growing market;
- Greg Tilford, Animal Essentials Inc.’s president of marketing and regulatory affairs, on the high demand for herbal pet products;
- Bill Bookout, National Animal Supplement Council president, on regulatory overview of “dietary supplements” for animals;
- Michael DiTullio, Especially for Pets president, on the wants of health-conscious (and not so health-conscious) consumers, including an exclusive retailers’ panel;
- Marty Grosjean, CEO of Only Natural Pet Store LLC, on the online “natural” pet supplier’s point of view;
- Chip Sammons, Holistic Pet Center owner, on a unique consumer education approach;
- David Dzanis, DVM, Ph.D., DACVN, Regulatory Discretion Inc.’s CEO, on regulations and ambiguity;
- Mickey McDermott, vice president, communications, North America, Novartis Animal Health, and
- Ted Rheingold, founder/CEO of Dogster Inc. and Catster Inc., on the wellness connection: how harnessing the power of new media to deliver a message that results in happier pet owners and healthier pets.
The third and final day highlights nutritional and marketing advances in food, treats and supplements. Scheduled to speak are the following:
- Marco Giannini, Dogswell president and CEO, on the new category of proactive wellness and solution-oriented foods – foods designed to target specific conditions;
- Kevin Meehan and Diane Peterson of Mulligan Stew, on how biochemistry and consumer-driven marketing combine to create a strong brand;
- Martin Glinsky, Ph.D. president of Sedona Pet Products Inc.
- Bette Schubert, president of Bravo Raw Diet and
- Greg Tilford, president, marketing, Animal Essentials Inc., on new and emerging natural trends – three perspectives: what works, what doesn’t and who really knows the truth.
Supporting publications include Veterinary Practice News and Pet Product News International.