For those seeking help and those offering to help in the face of hurricanes Harvey and Irma, as well as the numerous wildfires scorching vast swaths of the western U.S., the American Veterinary Medical Association created a comprehensive resource webpage as well as a pet evacuation kit at avma.org/PetReady.
The AVMA is in constant contact with federal, state, and local agencies to provide the most comprehensive and up-to-date list of resources possible for veterinarians and other pet health professionals, according to the association.
Information available includes:
- How to volunteer;
- Interactive maps depicting location of shelters and veterinary services;
- An updated map of current wildfires is being maintained by the USDA Forest Service;
- Tips to keep pets safe from wildfire smoke; created by the Oregon Veterinary Medical Association
- Hotlines and links for assistance and donations; and
- Links to resources for maintaining the health and wellbeing of both people and pets during and after a crisis